Planning by Motorsport South Africa for this academy started pre-covid lockdown in 2019, and as South Africa eased on restrictions, it was all systems go to bring the world famous MXGP Academy training sessions to South Africa.
With many months of preparation and planning, dates were set for two training centres namely Legends Adventure Park in Gauteng from the 03 – 05 October and Zone 7 in Cape Town from the 07 – 09 October 2022.
Athletes and trainees from all over the country received their invites and the day arrived with a wonderful introduction by trainers Martin van Genderen and Jan Postema from the Netherlands.
Athletes, trainees and trainers engaged on the various aspects of the academy process and a few hours spent on the track brought much excitement to the fold. Moms and dads and trainers with trainees, athletes and onlookers had an exciting time learning new skills.
The response was overwhelming, and we are pleased to learn of this great success by Motorsport South Africa and the engagement of the MSA Motocross Commission with the training program.
Gauteng : Legends Adventure Park
Cape Town : Zone 7
- Chantell Martin: It was very educational and feel we as parents have more knowledge. Thank you very much.
- Frans Fourie: Good evening, thank you for everything. Much appreciated. Regards.
- Mike van Schoor: Thanks to all involved. Riders and parents really enjoyed it. Much appreciated.
- Hayden Krull: Thank you to everyone involved in this MSA event I think it was great and well organized. Kendra and Luke both gave positive feedback and we as parents definitely took in a lot in the theory that we will going forward put into practice thanks.
- Charlotte Retief: Thank you to everyone involved for making this possible for our kids. It was an amazing experience for the riders as well as the parents. It was very informative, and we will implement what we have learnt.
The interaction in the classroom was most informative and held trainees and parents in awe of new techniques and procedures on how to address athletes on race day and basic principles to be aware of.Our appreciation to FIM, the MXGP Academy and Motorsport South Africa for this amazing opportunity and mostly to Carmen Hill and Lizelle van Rensburg for all the organising as well as Legends Adventure Park and Zone 7 for the use of their awesome facilities and hospitality.
We look forward to the next step and progress on this ladder of learning and we trust that all involved thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
The MSA Motocross Commission is committed to Motorsport South Africa in creating future World champions and enabling great progress in our sport.
Issued on behalf of Neville Townsend MSA Motocross Commission President